Oct 23, 2014

Ichtegem's Grand Cru

Ichtegem's Grand Cru
330ml
6,5%

The more expensive brother of yesterdays Oud Bruin, this Flemish Red Ale has been matured in oak barrels and has one label more than the red capped brother from yesterday. The label is more or less the same and as already mentioned, the cap this time is white not red. I was thinking of saving this baby but it has been in the fridge for over 24 hours and I truly can't be arsed to wait for another one to get cold so this one it is.. also it fits as I had the brother yesterday.

The color is lighter than yesterday though the pictures don't show that very well. The foam again is light caramel and dissipates very fast though I did my very best to conjure up a nice head.

Ratebeer also has a very high rating for this, more than double than the smaller brother from yesterday.

The aroma at least is a lot better than yesterday. I can detect spices, the wood tones from the oak barrel and a fine tartness. It reminds me of Glögi or Glühwein with cloves and cinnamon. Complex aroma indeed. that makes me wanna drink this now!

This is awesome. It takes yesterdays aroma but tops it. It starts sweet only to warp into tartness and end with wine like aftertaste and decent bitterness.

I have said this before but this definitely is one of the best brews I have had the last few years. The aftertaste is complex with delicate bitterness and very fine yeast tones, coupled with the fruity tartness of gooseberries topped with warm spices.

Absolutely worth trying!

I dedicate this post to Turo! Great work running the Amsterdam Marathon!

Prost!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment