Dec 31, 2013

Fuller's Vintage Ale

Fuller's Vintage Ale 

Limited Edition 2012

500ml 8,5%


Happy 2014 dear readers...Let's just say that 2013 wasn't exactly my year but that's a story best told somewhere else. The New Years Eve beer I picked is Fuller's Vintage. I got this very nice bottle from the world leading shop when it comes to beer, Maruhn in Darmstadt. I have had this bottle waiting for something special for over half a year and though it should stay drinkable another decade or so, I decided that it is a valid reason to start 2014 with. I'm a fan of Fuller's and their Vintage Ale always is a highlight in my year. The last time I had this gem was in Feltbay my local bar in Ruskeasuo ... Let's see whether the 2012 version of the bottle conditioned beauty is as nice as I remember it.
It comes in a carton package with a little leaflet describing the last years editions of it.
I wonder whether this 8,5% alcohol liquid will make me fall asleep before midnight.. Anyways, the bottle and the package look very nice and add to the whole experience of a great beer tasting.
The glass I chose out of a whim... somehow didn't want to use a big glass for it.

It pours all nicely, alas the head is very disappointing and dissipates rather fast. It has a light red color, almost oink and sorta reminds me of a Belgium pink beer I once had. It's a bit like a reddish Fanta.

It smells very little, though I find very fruity tones. The alcohol can be smelled, which, as you know, is usually a very bad sign for me... but as I have waited for this so long I shall not allow this to diminish my experience. The smell funnily reminds me of 'Pfläumchen' which is a very bad plum alcohol thing from my early alcohol days..... *shudder*

Amazingly the foam is still present with a slight layer. Let's try this baby.
This is a great example of something you treasure and once you open it you lose all your fascination about it. The alcohol is very present in the taste, mixed with dark, bitter fruit aromas. It's rather syrupy with a strong alcoholy aftertaste. Actually the taste reminds me of a wine that went bad.
Maybe that sums up 2013.... great wrapper, rotten inside. Let's hope 2014 will be better.

I hugged thee all my dear readers!

Prost!

DMW


No comments:

Post a Comment