Feb 23, 2015

Longboard Island Lager

Longboard Island Lager
Kona Brewing
355ml
4,6%

My beloved Boss gave me a mixed case of beers from around the world and I am eager to start trying them. I shall start the series with a Hawaiian baby. Apparently Kona Brewing has been busy there with quite a selection of which I got the Lager.

The small bottle depicts the Hawaiian islands and the words Liquid Aloha. A fun novelty that almost makes me want to keep the bottle..if I weren't such a pack rat.

The Label is pretty cool and shows three surfers on the ocean in a Hawaiian bay. Colorscheme is red, blue and sand and I do like it. All in all it is a really nicely combination of label, bottle and cap, which also shows the brewery's logo - a gecko of some sort.

As it's a lager I went for an old hand blown glass stein instead of my usual tasting glass.

It pours nice and easy with not a lot of foam really. The foam it has, dissipates besides a small layer of fine bubbles.

It is of a nice golden color and appears unfiltered as it is not fully clear - alas not as cloudy as I am used to when it comes to unfiltered brews.

Now let's check the aroma. The olfactory sensation is mediocre. It's watery with sweet tones and very faint tart umami smell. Floral and fruity scents are also detectable.

So I haven't eaten anything today so let's hope I can still type after sampling it -  then again it only has 4,6%. According to the added label the ingredients would even make it OK under the German purity law.

The additional label is required as, as far as I know, beers in Europe need to show what ingredients are used in them .... they don't in the US.

Now the taste was a real surprise. A true nice sensation. Hay, freshness, very soft bitterness in the aftertaste. I truly like the soft floral tones mixed with just about the right amount of hoppish bitterness. This all mixed with almost banana sweetness.

Ratebeer isn't convinced of it, I, however, truly am. This might be one of the better things I have tried in the last year or so. Funny how taste differs.

Prost!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment