Feb 24, 2015

Drunken Sailor - Crew Republic

Drunken Sailor
Crew Republic

0,33l
6,4%
58 IBU

Herkules, Citra, Cascade, Simcoe Hops
Pilsner, Munich and Caramel malts


Another out of the present my boss gave me. I like the label it's old school with some hipstery attachments. I was actually surprised to see that this is brewed in Germany as it all pointed to an American Brewer... live and learn. The label shows th name of the brewing initiative namely Crew Republic of which I admittedly hadn't heard about. And seems to be part of the grand craft beer movement. The upper label shows a classical sailors tattoo icon - an anchor. Very fitting for an IPA and that is why I chose this baby... because I want an IPA and they are hard to come by in Germany.

I like how they say which hops and malt they use. The Taste-o-meter thing they have added is probably a thing of taste... I usually tend to evade those because they influence my own sampling but I can see why it might be nice for someone who is new to beer sampling. It comes in a classical brown small bottle.

Ratebeer seems to have a high opinion of it... and now I DO wanna try it.

I will be away to Ă…land for a long weekend by the way so don't expect too much the next week... but maybe I'll bring back some goodies from there.

I went back to my classical tasting glass for this as it seems to deserve something classy.
It pours easy with almost no foam (like most IPA). I managed to conjure up SOME foam and it turned out to be very, very fine bubbles with occasional bigger ones.
It's of a cloudy amber with a multitude of particulates.

Instantly the room filled with a very pleasant raspberry aroma so let's get to the bottom of te aroma.

I can instantly recognize the IPA smell but it is more fruity than anything I had ever had smelled in an IPA before. The fruity tones are present and mix very, very nicely with the hop and hop blossom smell. The aroma is very full and overwhelming. I really like this aroma though I am for once at a loss to describe it.

It starts very sweet, raspberryish on the tip of the tongue then, the more I emerge my tongue into it, the hoppish bitterness takes over, Opening in a full variety of sheer bitterness, mixed with dark chocolate notes. For a short moment the alcohol is noticeable but that fades quickly.

The carbonation is pretty perfect, tickling the tongue a bit but not taking over too much of the mouthfeel. The only mayhaps small thing I can find to criticize on that brew is the alcohol taste that lingers for a bit - but as you readers know, that is something I personally dislike and doesn't make it bad in itself.

I REALLY like this one. Vast aromas of berry and melon mixed with complimenting bitter aspects.

If you find this somewhere, go get it!

Prost!

DMW





No comments:

Post a Comment