Apr 1, 2015

Störtebeker Atlantik-Ale

Störtebeker Atlantik-Ale

0,33l
5,1%

So now I am on a diet and a beer between meals shouldn't be on the list of things I should do... a lot of "should" so I'll just have a nice ice cold pale ale.
I chose Störtebeker Atlantik-Ale for it, which according to RateBeer should be decent enough. I also wager a guess that I'll be drunk after 2 sips as my breakfast consisted of 1 small slice of bread...

The bottle design goes along with the other 'specialties' this brew series makes.The front label depicts a ship while the aft label holds useful information.  I have to admit that the other stuff I had by them didn't exactly blow my mind so I am a tad bit skeptical. 

The homepage of this baby informs me that it is hopped with Tradition, Perle, Cascade, Amarillo and Citra and that it should be drunk at 10° .... well my fridge has 8° that has to do. Added information on the bottle informs us that the malt used is Crystal-, Distilling-, Pilsener-, and Wheatmalt.

It pours nice and easy with not super much but at least some head, consisting of mixed sized bubbles that dissipate reasonably fast. It's of a cloudy dark golden color. Nom, nom, unfiltered!

The aroma is surprisingly sweet, hop blossom mixed wit the typical IPA scent, very mouthwatering fresh hop aroma, not tart or stinging my nose like some IPA does. 

It starts a tad bit watery, gets very nice hoppish bitter for a moment, then sadly fades away very fast again, leaving a nice but faint bitter aftertaste. The watery part is really what makes this a meh for me. Somehow Germans still haven't found the hang to make a decent IPA. The taste simply doesn't manage to hold what the aroma promises. A pity. Now don't get me wrong, this is my no means a bad beer - it's just not a super extraordinary IPA for my taste. 

Prost!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment