Apr 30, 2015

Riegele BierManufaktur Augustus 8

Riegele BierManufaktur Augustus 8

0,66l
8%
Hallertauer Perle, Opal Hops

So this is part 3 of 4 and wasn't planned... what happened was that I poured me a warm Westmalle Tripel over my steel ice balls (har har) into the nice Westmalle glass..... only to realize that it had expired over a year ago and that the color wasn't very grand anymore... it prolly was drinkable but after 2 sips I decided against it... so I used the Augustus 8... over the now partly thawed ice balls into the same glass... so suboptimal conditions but we shall endeavor to make it a good experience. Now this copper- red baby pours with a little foam which dissipates very fast again. The bottle itself has the usual Riegele hints to what one might drink it and cites the hops etc.

I must say the steel ice balls I had gotten from a kickstarter project are pretty awesome as they did the job and cooled the brew down nicely! I guess that that's partly because of the rather flat Trappist glass.

The aroma is very faint, decent. Flowery tones, mixed with a strong yeast subtone, almost like a yeast beer ... which I usually am not a fan of... But we shall see.

The brew is very thick.. oily to drink.. almost like a soup. It is very yeasty and not exactly what I expected.
I'm not a fan of the mouthfeel really.. it's almost like drinking soup. There is a very faint bitterness that I can guess to be there but the sweet yeastyness covers it. It is a very heavy drink for sure and I can imagine that the herbal aspects of it might work to a hearty dish. Still I usually prefer something more zesty, refreshing. It does get more fruity after one gets used to the yeast though still.. not my favorite brew.
Untappd does indeed call this a Weizenbock which would explain my experiences taste wise...
Ratebeer is not agreeing with me and does rate it very high... I guess it is a grand one IF you like Yeastbeers.

PROST!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment