Nov 25, 2013

Chimay Bleue

Chimay Bleue
Bières de Chimay
0,33l   9%

Part 3 in the Dr.H series and the last of the smaller bottles before I hit the biiiig babies.
I'm really looking forward to this because it is basically leading Rate Beer with a straight 100.

I remember that I have had that beer before and that I did share the high rating but it was before my writing times. Maybe this is a great off-work beer as I just got home. I love Trappist Beers and have had most of them ... Argh it's one of these days when i just wanna drink and not write that much. I did chose my Westmalle Trappist Glass for this beauty.
As all trappists this is top-fermented and bottle conditioned. The blue Chimay is the strongest in the Chimay series and if my typing slurs at the end.. well you know why :).

The label is classical just showing the Chimay letters and blue color that identify it as the strong version of the series. It's a small bottle with the name of the abbey on it.
Some pages say that the yeast in trappists should be mixed in later but I usually just mix it in from the beginning on. According to the label the surplus money the monks make with the beer is put to charity.. drinking with a great conscience YAY.
I made a bit of a mistake when pouring so the head ended more like a cappuccino....
The head is full, caramel colored and lasts relative long. The bubbles are bigger than I usually see em. 
Color wise this is dark red like coke held in front of a light bulb but cloudy. The yeast can be seen.

It smells like a very rich bread, the yeast is noticeably there, which isn't a bad thing. There are very slight tones of lemon peel and pepper present.

It starts with a tickle, a fruity rich sensation on the tip of the tongue that then explodes throughout the mouth. Once oxygen is let into the mouth, a rich bitterness mixes with the combination. Carbonation is perfect and there are new aspects with every sip. It starts with nice fruit tones and ends with peppery coffee taste. The alcohol is not noticeable at all, it doesn't linger nor is it overly detectable.

I know why I liked it back then, I know why this leads rate beer and I need to keep in mind to get this more often. Again thanks Dr. H!

Prost!

DMW


No comments:

Post a Comment