Nov 22, 2013

Rodenbach

Rodenbach
Palm Brewery
250ml
5,2%

Day two of the Dr.H. series. After yesterdays iron, sugar, color beer we continue with a Flanders Red Ale and I am _really_ looking forward to this. 

The classic red label which appeals to me nicely, just because it is very simple, states that this was matured in oak casks and a mixture of 3/4 young beer and 1/4 2 year matured beer.
Wikipedia has something more to say about this kind of beer and details on how it is fermented with different organisms than your around the corner waterhole beer.
Ratebeer also knows something about it and it has been described as lambic without fruit. As I am known to drink even Berliner Weisse without the syrup because I like the crisp tartness of it I am very interested. Already sad that this comes in a 250ml bottle... partly as I'm not sure what glass to use and partly because well it's just half a pint and I'm a big boy :P. Alas, the next 2 parts of the Dr.H. Series will feature da big bottles so my liver can enjoy the holiday.... for now.

As I already mentioned I do like the label. It's a bit retro but very clear with a high recognition value.

As I still had the glass from yesterday around (freshly washed of course) I shall use this one, after I left it outside for a while to get nice and cool.

It pours a nice red almost like watered down Coke a nice red-brown. The head was difficult to produce and dissipated rather fast, leaving a very thin brownish foam layer.
It looks strongly carbonated but that we shall find out when tasting.

I can definitely smell the oak barrel in it, a muskiness I know from when I used to visit our vintner. Slight iron tones and a strong plum tone are persisting.

The label states added sugar which usually makes my alarm bells ring but I guess those nasty bacteria friends need something to eat too.. Soooooo let's drink friends!

Now the taste is something really special. It's sour with a distinct plum tone though that's only the first sip. It also has sweet tones in it which are cleverly hidden and can be found dancing on the tip of ones tongue. The carbonation is just perfect and it's a perfect harmony between sugar, tartness, fruit and spice. Maybe a tad bit on the tart side. The taste changes with the amount of oxygen allowed in the mouth and every sip allows new explorations. The oak barrels can be very softly found on the back of my palate but is not very strong and makes an overall perfect piece.

I truly like this one! Uncle Dirk gives his approval! Thank you Dr.H. - a lot!

Prost!
DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment