Nov 21, 2013

Diekirch Grand Cru

And then there was real life... and conventions and laziness and I dunno... less beer.. but now the days are getting shorter, the coldness is creeping into my bones and I had Dr. Henry A friend of mine present me with a bag full of beery goodness to write about. Give Beer, will write about... that's a great slogan.... if anyone wants to donate something....

But ähm yeah.. after I got to introduce Dr. H. to some Finnish beerses he decided I need to get to know some other stuff so here we are the Dr. H series!

Kicking it off today is the

Diekirch Grand Cru
330 ml
5,1%

I instantly disliked the color... it's a dirty brownish and a glance at the ingredients indeed show that they use a color in their beer.. something I am a tad bit sceptical about.. why does a beer need a dye to make it appealing. Anyways besides the happy addition of E150c the head is nice and it comes with a fine cream colored foam which is stronger on the outside and less persisting towards the middle of the glass. I chose a classical Kellerbier glas for it... mainly because it came in a 330ml bottle and I don't own too many of those.

It's not having a very strong smell, really just very fine and hidden fruity notes, mixed with the presence of yeast. Some cinnamon and wintery spices maybe... but as I said.. it's so decent that I might imagine those.

Now for the taste...

It's crisp, bitter but also has some sweet tones... sadly as the ingredients show the sweetness comes from added Invert Sugar which lingers over the good beery taste. It's not bad though. The slight taste of Iron forms a nice combo with the existing bitterness. It ends with a fresh, crisp aftertaste.

I like it, but as I already mentioned I'm not sure why it needs sugar and colorant.
A nice start for the Dr.H. Series!

Prost!


No comments:

Post a Comment