Aug 23, 2016

Badisch Gose - Welde

Badisch Gose
Welde

0,33l
4,6%
IBU: 10

I got 2 of the brews of this brewery, a Gose and a Bock. According to the brewery's site their Gose won a Gold Award at the International Craft Beer Award.

As it is another hot day outside I am hoping for something light, tart, summery.
As a regional speciality beer, Gose is exempt from the German Beer Purity Law as the ingredients usually include salt and coriander. The top fermented Gose originally was spontaneously fermented by wild yeast strains, much like the Lambic class of beers. It has a rocky history as it sometimes vanished for years as brewers stopped making it or lost the knowledge on how to make it, alas it has found a renaissance with the craft beer movement.

Ratebeer again is somewhere in the middle of their scoring system when it comes to this brew. (Not that I care...:P )

The bottle itself is rather standard. It holds 2 labels, both cream colored with black writing, but somehow it fits the whole design of it. It shows a salt shaker and what I guess to be coriander leaves and also has a description what it tastes like... which I didn't read because I do like to make my own assumptions and not rely on other people too much when it comes to that. The back label lists the ingredients and the useful information like IBU etc.

Glass-wise I went for an old Widmer Brothers glass I brought with me from the US... simply because I couldn't find my standard tasting glasses... I have too many and yet they constantly seem to disappear...

The brew is cloudy and unfiltered and has a rather wellllll ehmmm ...let's say the color isn't the most appetizing but hey... I don't like my beers because of their color, right. So yeah slightly diarrhea color but who cares. Not much head to speak of. Just a small layer of mediocrely sized bubbles.

The aroma rocks. Very fruity, slight hop tones which are very well hidden behind salt and berry aromas. Umami and grapefruit come to mind.

The taste, now that is something.
The carbonation is good and the taste really awesome. It starts with rich sweet-tart gooseberry tones, evolves to salty mineral aspects only to give you the hint of hops and banana in the end, leaving a pleasant floral-fruity aftertaste without being sweet.
I especially like the fruit salty mix though that is something I usually never would like. To be honest I was sceptical about salt and beer but this works quite well though I am told that this particular Gose isn't even deemed to be very salty.

Now this brew is another example on how different beers can be. If you compare this to a heavy chocolate stout, one might thing that these are two totally different kinds of beverages.

A _very_ fine piece of brew-art. Thanks to the brewery for that!

Prost!

DMW



No comments:

Post a Comment