Aug 15, 2016

Steamworks Heroica Red Ale - The Air Canada Series

Steamworks Heroica Red Ale

0,33l
5,6%
45 IBU
Malts: 2-Row, Cara 20, Cara 45, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Cascade, Citra, Simcoe, Amarilloe

As I explained in my last post, my friends from Air Canada made sure to give me something to write about. So today I will talk about the second of the Canadian beers I have gotten from them.
Steamworks seems to have a lot of interesting brews indeed and after the bit heavier baby yesterday, I am happy to tackle something I imagine to be crisp and summery... a nice red ale.

I am a bit weary as I never made the greatest experiences with Simcoe Hops but hey, I am here to be surprised, right!

RateBeer gives it more in style than in overall but as I also stressed last time, I have no idea how their points actually work.

The brown bottle again has 2 translucent stickers as labels that give us the impression as if they are painted on. Nice. This time -to go with the Heroica Red image- the label shows us a happy, heroic firefighter, rescuing a damsel in distress in his arms.... makes me wonder how he is gonna hold the beer bottle... The label on the back gives us the above-mentioned list of yummy ingredients and otherwise is rather minimalistic.

I went for a nice sturdy baby Guinness Glass for this as I somehow found it more fitting than my usual one.

Not much foam on this nice not totally filtered red beauty. It's red-brown like a watered down cola and not as red as I thought.

The aroma is very citrus heavy coupled with honey and hops. Faint flower and hazelnut tones mixed with grass.

The amount of carbonation is perfect. It starts off rather sweet, then rolls along the tongue with nice spice tones only to reach the palate and the back of the tongue to fully develop the rich bitter hops taste.

It is one of the beers that get a totally new aspect once one opens the mouth and allows some air to join. I really like the tart citrus aspects which mix with the toasted malts t give the nutty feeling till the hops arrive.

Truly nicely done! This has about everything a good brew is supposed to have and is in addition exactly what I needed today.

A superb brew with enough bitterness to make me happy, alas allowing it to paint a whole composition with the other aspects.

Thank you, Air Canada!



Prost!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment