Feb 25, 2013

Ebulum

Ebulum Elderberry Black Ale
330ml 6,5%

Brewed with Elderberries and Myrtle this beer is brewed after a recipe from the 16th century.





Deep black in color, this dark ale swallows any light and even when held right in front of a lamp it's almost impossible to see any light through it. The slightly cream colored foam dissipates very fast and leaves a small layer of bubbles. (Somehow I feel as if I have written that sentence a lot in the last few days...).

Marketed as a dark ale I somehow expect something along the lines of Köstritzer or other similar Schwarzbiere.
It smells very deep dark chocolatey and has rich fruit tones as well. I can smell the alcohol (which usually isn't a good thing but let's see) and something else I truly can't pinpoint. It's not as chocolate smelling as the Kelpie but more fruity dark chocolate... Hard to describe. Definitely pleasant and after the last few beauties I am eager to test this.


The carbonation this time is about perfect and the chocolate tones blend in with fruityness. While the fruity tones mainly are on the tip of the tongue, the bitter tones fill the rest of the mouth. I wouldn't be able to identify it as elderberry or myrtle but it's definitely great. It lingers warmly in the throat and I can absolutely see that as a great drink in winter in front of a fire place.  It's a very interesting sensation for the taste buds.

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment