Feb 23, 2013

Kelpie


Kelpie Seaweed Ale
4,4%
330ml

I thought I'll kick this off with the Kelpie as ... to be honest....
Seaweed ale doesn't REALLY sound too appealing to me.. I automagically connect seaweed with salt and salt and beer don't tend  to go too well together. Education wise I learned that apparently the Scots used to brew with it so time to give it a try. I really like the label. According to the enclosed brochure I should have chosen a different glas for it but a man gotta use what a man has. The foam is strong and dissipates relatively fast. The foam has a dark color and reminds me of Guinness. The beer itself is very dark red.. it seems black if not viewed against a light source. Even after a few minutes there is a decent foam layer left.

I am REALLY eager to try this... Now let's take a smell..
It smells really chocolaty bitter and full with very decent salty tones.. not in a bad way. It reminds me of some chocolate porters I drank in St. Urhos. Wonder whether I'm just imagining the salty smell :P...
Time to try...

With maybe a bit too much carbonation this ranks among the best porters I have had in a long time. Its very bitter, heavy and full with pleasant bitterness tones throughout and a nice chocolaty aftertaste. (And no... no real saltyness:P) If the heavy carbonation wouldn't be this would definitely rank in my top list. The Seaweed gives it a nice extra bonus taste that's not really noticeable but there.

I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment