May 5, 2016

Grünbacher Altweisse Gold

Schlossbrauerei Grünbach

Altweisse Gold
0,5l
5,0%

Pole position for this 7part series is this Wheat-baby. I have mentioned more than once that I am not a yeasty fan though funnily enough it was all I was drinking when I was younger. Now this baby comes in a bit smaller bottle than the average corner standard bottle. It's broader instead. The glass I chose is something special and something I hadn't taken out of its package in many, many years. It is a traditional yeast-beer glass, alas from Ritzenhoff and it was a birthday present from Sebastian and Pia from another time and another galaxy far far away. It depicts my zodiac sign, Aquarius.

I never heard of the brewery (Schloßbrauerei Grünbach in German only) but with 1274 breweries in Germany (give or take some) that shouldn' be a big surprise. The promise full yeast and thus full fruity flavor and unfiltered goodness.... Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah not a big yeast fan .. oh wait I mentioned that before..

Ratebeer is in the lower percentages when it comes to this baby, alas the packaging mentions that it won a gold medal from the DLG 2015.

The label is your classical minimalist style 3 part label, mainly in green, depicting a horn and the logo of the brewery. The net tells me that this used to be their premium, only brewed for special happenings... yeah sure... :P

The aroma is very acidic sour, not unpleasant, mixed with the expected yeast tones. Hints of fresh bread dough and oranges are hidden in the rich aroma.

The color is nice cloudy unfiltered yellow with seemingly rich carbonation and a just about perfect white head of fine foam.

The skeptic in me wonders whether the carbonation stems from being too strong, the form of the glass or the fact that I just cleaned it... as they say that only dirty glasses show loads of carbonation... I definitely cleaned it well so maybe it is the traditional form that presents us with the bubbly goodness.

It starts very fruity on the tip of the tongue, melting down into citrus notes, coupled with a fine yeast note that isn't as bad as I expected it to be. The carbonation is pretty perfect if maybe a tad bit too strong for me. It's nice and foamy, filling the whole mouth with it. Parts of hay, lemon and herb-medicinal tones in the aftermath.

Now I do like this. I must admit that it fits the whole Bavarian Beergarden tone. The weather is nice, the sun is shining and this is a refreshing brew, not as yeasty as I feared.

I'm drinking this for those of my friends and loved ones who left me and this world the last year.

Kippis Mazzon! Prost Frank!

You are missed!


Prost!
DMW



No comments:

Post a Comment