May 20, 2016

Löwenbrauerei Passau Urtyp Hell

Urtyp Hell
Löwenbrauerei Passau

0,5l
4,8%

And we are reaching the end of a kinda mixed series for the Reinheitsgebot anniversary.
I can' say that anything of the beerses gave me a taste orgasm but at least they got me to write again.

Todays Urtyp Hell apparently has won a couple of awards as the rear label shows a Gold World Beer Cup award in 2012 and Gold Beer Stars for 2009 and 2010.

The brewery (again only German) praises itself for how pale their beer is and says it can't be paler than this... we shall see... alas it is rainy outside so I doubt I'll get nice pictures.

Ratebeer once again in the lower area... seems they really don't like German beer.

The bottle is your standard brown beer bottle with 3 labels. I like the minimal approach they have with the label. Modern, nice clear lines, mainly held in brown red and black. Sadly no real information about the beer itself on the back label besides the usual advertisement.

The glass of the day is a Zischke Kellerbier glass that I might have bought at the brewery but to be honest I have too many beer glasses and I lost track...

It indeed is very pale/bright .. they did not lie there. Has the side effect that it evokes me thinking that it might be watery. Carbonation is massive judging from what I see. We shall taste whether the tongue thinks the same.

The aroma is faint but very nice. Fruity tones with floral undertones and a slight umami in the end. Not much yeast or hops detectable. One of the best smelling beers I have sampled.

The head is about perfect, fine bubbles, long lasting, just as it should be.

Carbonation is perfect.

The aroma didn't betray as the taste is nice, slightly sweet floral in the beginning with indeed ripe fruity tones that then evolve into a nice combination of umami tones with very small bitterness, the hops are hinted in the aftertaste but even then stay on the light side. For once I agree with whoever gave out the prizes. This is definitely a good brew. It's nothing super duper out of the ordinary but it is a nice made, rustic, high quality beer with a pleasant all in all round taste. Lover of hops might be sad but I am happy.

Prost!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment