May 7, 2016

Irlbacher Hefe-Weissbier Export

Irlbacher Hefe-Weissbier Export
Schlossbrauerei Irlbach

0,5l
5,4%
12,7% original wort

Way too long name for a beer and I bet people will file it under a different name when they write about it... So yes. Another yeast thingy happened... simply because I want to get rid of it. LOL.
I had a non alcoholic one yesterday from a major brewery and it was OK. I guess my dislike stems from the mucho calories these babies bring with them. Anyways their homepage was being refurbished when I tried to access it so not much I can say about them. one of the traditidional 3 labels tells me that they are of some noble family and couch for their beer with their good name... yeah color me not impressed.
Ratebeer which I didn't forget this time like last time, is rather low about it.

It's top fermented in the bottle and also won a European Beer Star (for a link see the last blog entry as I cba to check it again... sorry.. no I'm not) - this time the European Beer Star in Bronze in 2011.

I did plan to use the olde normal pint glass again but it irked me so I dug out my maybe oldes glass again. It is hand blown as one can see because of its little impurity and made for a brewery that ceased operating in 1989 the Würzburger Bürgerbräu (more infos sadly in German only can be found here.) My aunt wanted to toss the glass when she moved and offered it to me as a vase... I have better usage for it.

As mentioned the bott le has the classic 3 labels, held in gold and blue and white... yay for Bavarian colors. (*rolls eyes*) Not much information present on this bottle.. so I can't give you fancy yeast strains or hops names... not necessarily a bad thing as these do cater to the hip craft beer hipsters.... No I'm not one of them... I was retro when it was still 'out'.


It pours with little and pretty white foam, something I am not used from yeasties. The foam also decides to disappear quickly, leaving the very yellow brew. Now when I say yellow, I do mean yellow. This is like Fanta,

The aroma wasn't present when pouring so let's see what the glass offers. Interesting mixture of freshly cut grass, a fine vinegar and a fruity yeast tone I can't recall having smelled before. The yeast isn't imposing but playing along nicely with floral notes. All in all a very fine aroma. Not imposing, not blocking ones nose. Just nicely being there.

The carbonation at first seemed to be to little, only to then explode in an acidic way like strongly carbonated mineral waters, almost hurting the tip of my nose. The main taste is of ripe bananas, which then shifts to floral and hoppy bitterness. Sadly the acidic sharpness of the carbonation ruins this for me a bit. There are many really interesting nuances present but they are all covered by the sting of the tang carbonation. The banana wins in the end though the end tones are rather distant.

Siting outside in the sun like I do, I can, however, imagine this to be a grand thirst quencher, thus leading to drinking another and another. It's refreshing and summerly and not as yeasty as I had feared at all. The sourness does grow on me though.

All in all I am a bit torn apart. It's definitely nice and refreshing and I did grow to like the tartness. Sadly the other facets of the taste are hiding behind it and aren't easily lured out.

Prost!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment