May 9, 2016

St. GeorgenBräu Keller Bier

Keller Bier
St. GeorgenBräu

0,5l
4,9%

Finally a Kellerbier. YAY. It is unfiltered and "unbunged," indicating that the maturation was in a vessel open to the atmosphere (ie not controlled by a pressure valve). This makes for a lesser carbonation. With a diminished gassiness, there is less carbonic "bite" on he tongue, so the drinker is more sensitive to the flavors in the beer. (I had to look this up and now I know... )

Alas I am still a bit plagued by allergy and I got my Larp character today so I am all kinds of hyped and not in my best mood to write... alas the brew is cold, it is waiting for me and as I have to work tomorrow, I better enjoy me brew.
The bottle is pretty plain and standard, just 2 labels, no back label. 
It depicts a genuine painted brewery interior, the Font is deliberately chosen to look old. 
The brewery page is in German only again but doesn't say much anyways. 

Ratebeer for a change thinks highly of this bottom fermented beauty. 

Under normal circumstances I'd drink this out of a stein but that would mean not being able to take a nice picture so I went with a small stein-like glass-glass. 

It is golden brown, actually browner than I expected, with very little head. Almost no foam, but a small fine layer of mix sized bubbles.

The aroma is very sweet, mouth watering with citrus tones in the aftermath. There is something in it that I can't describe very well and if I say dusty like flour it's a mere pitiful attempt to describe it. Very fine soap tones mixed wit fresh cut flowers present as well.

It has a very full mouth feeling, starting with slight sweetness that then mixes to bitter, yeast tones only to then explode in a little hop. The citrus tones are present throughout, albeit slightly drowned by the hops only to end in a marriage of bitter lemon. The carbonation is OK. I would have preferred a tad bit more but it's OK.

This is nice! I wouldn't have thought that this is a Kellerbeer as they are usually more umami, but this is definitely nice. Maybe even so far the best of this series. I really like how this plays with sweet, sour and bitter tones, mixing them together only to hold them apart. Maybe a tad bit too bitter but that could be simply my expectations which expected something else.

Grand brew!

Prost!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment