Oct 4, 2011

Orval

0,33l bottle 6,2%

Dark amber with a distinct reddish tone, this fine trappiste is the last of my batch I brought from belgium on my last visit.. what better do drink outside on the terrace in nice warm temperatures. The sun is playing with the colors and the foamy head persists and doesn't fade... something I always like. I haven't poured in the last batch with the yeast yet, which explains why it's rather clear so far.
Smellwise this offers surprisingly sweet almost berry tones with nice citrus hints. I can't smell the banana I would have expected. It's really not smelling like any beer I have smelled before... maybe it's the outside air affecting it though. Anyways.. time to taste the beauty.. The carbonation again is a bit too heavy for me and the nice fruity smell I smelled can barely be found in the taste. Bitter tones are overlapping most other aspects though there is a sour side in it which might or might not stem from the carbonation. Adding the yeast... colorwise the yeast gives this beer an almost orange color, fading into watery coffee. The bitterness is mellowed by the fine yeast tones and it leaves a nice aftertaste... another beer I prefer with the yeast mixed into it. A fine trappiste I learned to love, however not a Rochefort.. I think I might prefer it over a Westmalle though.

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment