Oct 1, 2011

Maredsous 10

Duvel Moortgat Brewery
Strong Pale Ale
10% 0,33l bottle

Brewed by Duvel under their abbey beers line and labeled as 'In the tradition of the Benedictines', this triple has a nice amber red color. The yellowish foam leaves a full head and pleases me aesthetically (please note that the glas I took it in was a Corsendonk glas and not the fitting Maredsous). It smells fresh and sweet. The usual banana scent is existing though it mixes with faint yeast and orange tones. Let's see ... or rather taste... whether this product from a large brewery can live up to the Trappistes I love so much.
I'm not a huge fan of the carbonation.. it's on the verge of hurting my tongue if I leave a sip too long in my mouth. The fruity tones blend in nicely with a crisp bitterness, alas I'm not a huge fan of the bitter tones but I can see why people like it. It actually reminds me a bit of blood orange .. whyever. I can taste the yeast which is nice (I like some yeasty tones, even though I dislike wheat beers nowadays) but overall the general tastyness of this tripel could be stronger. It disguises the alcohol content nicely though, which is a nice feature in a strong beer. It's a fine beer to taste, can't cope with my beloved Trappistes though. But taste is ... of course ... subjective. Prost!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment