Jul 14, 2014

Asia Days: Chang

Chang
Cosmos Brewery Thailand
330ml
5%

Sorry dear yeastie fans but I'm not really in the yeastie mood atm so we will have to wait a few days for the final part of the Weissbierprobe. Instead I am having this Thai beer to sample today. As I get that it is a common product there I am not sure what to expect but hey, that's what this blog is for, right. So yes, Chang beer produced by Cosmos Brewery in Ayutthaya Thailand.

The label shows two decorative elephants under a palm (?) tree on a green golden background with white letters naming it CHANG. (yay?)

It took all my skills to even conjure up a little foam on this and the fine, white pores are dissipating very fast.

http://www.changbeer.com/ is the breweries page and Ratebeer  gives tem a whopping 4 ... which seems to be the lowest I have ever seen in a beer so far...

Untappd seems to value it a bit higher but then again that is a page to mainly just check in beer and if someone is on vacation, drinking it in Thailand I guess their mood is generally forgiving.

Anyways, the aroma is very faint and yeasty, not as bitter as I expected but nothing extraordinaire either. There is a tangy side aroma that I can't fully place, nor am I sure whether I like it or find it unpleasant. Faint grass tones are also present.

The carbonation is good but the beer isn't really. It's weirdly sweetish with rather strange alcoholic side tones that linger as aftertaste. According to the ingredients this is even brewed in accordance to the purity law which surprises me a lot as otherwise I would have had an explanation for the taste. Slight metallic tones are there, coupled with a maltyness that isn't entirely unpleasant. Still the aftertaste is putting me off and I don't give this baby too many of the stars I usually might.

Prost!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment