Sep 14, 2011

Golden Surprise with Augustiner Edelstoff



Edelstoff
Exportbier
Bottomfermented
0,5l : 5,6% : bottle

(Export — Wikipedia: a pale lager that is fuller, maltier and less hoppy than Pilsner. 12-12.5° Plato, 5-5.5% ABV. Germany's most popular style in the 1950s and 1960s, it's becoming increasingly rare.)
Augustiner Braeu München

Brewery

Colorwise a pale gold and not as orange as I would have expected. The foam dissipates very fast, alas a thin foam layer persists. Very fruity, fresh appetizing smell. Tastewise this came to me as an absolute surprise. I was expecting a bitter Pilsnertaste but instead I was surprised by the fresh, full taste. It has nice spicy side tones but keeps the distinct beer taste. I can only guess how purrfect an unfiltered version of this would be. Surely one of the best beers I have had in a long while. The spicyness has a nice contrast with soft citrus notes which is an interesting sensation. The carbonation is just right, it tickles the tongue without hurting it. Half pint gone.. still sone fine foam left... yay! Sadly or funnily enough having found this made my day today. Seems like a rare gem that I just picked up cause I liked the lable and thought it to be a nice addition to my collection. Alas I can see myself buying a case of this and have a nice afternoon on my terrace. A Gold Star from me :).

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment