Sep 14, 2011

Schinner Braunbier


1590 Das Echte Schinner Braunbier
Schinner Bayreuth
0,5 l : 5,4 % : bottle

Braunbier is the designation for a mildly hopped, beer made with malt out of barley. It's an old designator stemming back to the days of a very strict German Beer Purity law from 1516.

This particular beer used to also be called Red Beer because of its color... and indeed it surprises with a deep red brown color. The foam holds nicely and never fully dissipates, leaving a nice layer of creme colored bubbles on top.This bottom fermented beauty smells of fresh bread and almost like a bock with its sweet, deep tones. The smoky bitterness is maybe the strongest taste factor that comes to mind. I'm sure it's the right beer to a slice of freshly baked bread with a hearty cheese, alas for me at this moment it isn't fitting my summer mood. It tries to be as heavy as a bock, can't cope with its 5,4% alcohol, however, and tastes a bit watery for me. It has a ryeish aftertaste that stays in the nose and on the palate that I don't really fancy... alas it was to be expected from this kind of beer and I wanted to taste it to blog about it. It's interesting how much ones taste changes over the years, as I used to be really fond of these dark beers when I was younger. Even after half the mug gone, the thin layer of foam persists which is something that I do find very aesthetically pleasing. I also am very fond of the color. The sun shines through it and shows the full color of thin coffee with a more reddish hue. It's something I would definitely chose for a big dinner in medieval setback.... a full beer nicely fitting Olde Hansa in TLL for example, alas nothing I prolly will buy again besides as a novelty... or for my fellow co-bloggers to try.

All in all I'm not a fan of the roasted malty aftertaste but it's definitely nice for a change and to try.

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment