Aug 23, 2014

Black Isle Organic Hibernator Oatmeal Stout

Black Isle Organic Hibernator Oatmeal Stout
0,33l
7%

Part 2 of the Black Isles I had. Another beer my beloved brother brought me.
Now I have had this one on tap in various Finnish Pubs and I liked it, alas I hadn't written about it, which will change today.
Just like the last of their labels had a yellow/orange filled thistle, this one goes with a jeans blue one and also has the name of the brew in the same color. Otherwise the labels are more or less identical.
I DO appreciate that both have the seal of approval by the vegetarians society. I have been jealous of this habit in the UK for years and I can't see it happening here yet, alas I am extra thankful for it now.
With 7% this promises to be a stronger experience but I am up for it.
Also they state that the brew is organic and that the label is made out of recycled material. A nice touch I like.
Ratebeer gives it a solid 94 but like usually I didn't read what is written there so I do not spoil my own impressions.

It pours a bit oily and it took me some attempts to actually get it to produce any foam. I got a nice fine one which dissipated rather fast again sadly.. but I am used to Scandinavian bartenders to scoop away the head anyways. Sigh. The beer itself is very dark, possibly the most black I have seen in beers, the foam is of hazelnut color. But yeah seriously black is the only color I can describe the brew with.

The aroma is nice, dark malt, slight burnt aroma in it, fresh bread, dark fruits slightly fermented with definitely the slightly roasted/ burnt malt persisting. Slight hints of espresso/ freshly ground coffee.

It is very sweet for a second till the bitterness fully hits. It is mixed with coffee and dark chocolate tones but the full warm bitterness is absolutely awesome. I like how this plays with sweetness and bitterness a lot and I do remember when I drank this from tap... fun how tastes can evoke memories.
In any case, it is really, really nice if you like your brews bitter. If not... go and get a Kriek. :)

Prost!

DMW



No comments:

Post a Comment