Aug 13, 2014

Köstritzer Pale Ale

Köstritzer Pale Ale
0,5l
6,4%

I'm amazed... somehow Germany is suddenly exploring new beers... there is hope after all.
Thanks to my friend Robby who brought me this baby.
They advertise with the hops they use which are: Citra, Delta, Hallertau Blanc, Galaxy and Calypso and say that their brewers have long studied English Ale to come up with their own version of it. The brewery is mainly known for their black beer .... it even is almost a synonym for black beer. So I am wondering whether they actually managed to do what they advertise.
I am sickish so I will not give you the pleasure of a full huge super duper article but I did promise Robby that I will write about this and I shall. The bottle is not a standard beer bottle but branded Köstritzer.. I'm not the hugest fan of this trend as it means recycling is more difficult.

The label is part black and part red golden advertising a dry citrus note... we shall see. The slight caramel colored foam is dissipating not as fast as I had thought it would. The brew itself is of red golden, copper color and slightly cloudy - a good sign as I hate em filtered.

The aroma now is very strong and appetizing Nice hoppish Ale tones mixed with tart and sweet grapefruit and freshly pressed fruit juices. Sweet Grapefruit is what comes to mind, mixed with a hint of chocolate. By now the foam is gone with the wind and we can go on to the actual tasting. *drool*

Now this is very nicely bitter but not in a bad way. The bitterness is sweet and filling the whole mouth and developing the bitter tones once they get in contact with more oxygen. I can taste the alcohol lingering behind the bitter tones which stay long and are full bodied. The aftertaste is bitter and fresh at once. I do  like my IPA and this is maybe the best one I have had which was made in Germany. A true gem! I hope that they will continue making this!

P.S.: 82 from Ratebeer

Prost!

DMW




No comments:

Post a Comment