Aug 25, 2014

Sharp's Doom Bar

Sharp's Doom Bar
0,5l
4,3%

So I brought this from London must be good right? The fact that I did buy it at a TESCO EXPRESS where I had to battle with their self check out line till some security guard saved me might not speak for it. Now see, I have NO idea whether this is off the shelf crap or actually a good beer... The bottle is clear which is unusual for a beer as far as I know and the label is some kind of plastic that has translucent parts and otherwise sprouts the blue- white- gold writing. Says it is named after a sandbank... doesn't really speak pro taste now does it. :)
It's amber colored and no shit it is called an Amber Ale.
It's a sheer coincidence I actually took this back home, simply as I didn't drink it while I was in the UK.
As I don't expect much we shall see... It is unfiltered and produces fine foam when forced to.... but doesn't like to give much foam really.

It smells very genuinely Pilsner-y and I don't like the aroma. Very copper, very dry, subtle floral sub tones.... nothing special there either.

Tastewise it is not unpleasant. It reminds me a bit of Kilkenny I guess. It has subtle bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste and isn't as boring as a genuine Pilsner. though it is close taste wise.  Copper/Iron aftertaste mixed with faint pepper.
Now I see where they are coming from but I fear they wanted to cater to the masses and thus made it as genuine as possible. In any case a nice memory for Worldcon!
Now Ratebeer follows my below mediocre rating and gives it a 33. At least sometimes Ratebeer and I are of the same opinion.

Prost!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment