Aug 27, 2014

Spalter Zwickl

Spalter III
Spalter Zwickl
0,5l
4,9%

Ahhhh a Zwickel, a Kellerbier.... my grand lover. Sadly tis bottle seems to have misplaced its label.. a sure sign that I bought it in the brewery directly, alas a sorry picture but it cannot be helped.
As this is part of a series, turn for the first entry for further brewery information of this amazing city owned brewery.

A brown bottle, just like I expect ot for beer.. as mentioned I can't say much about the label as it is lost somewhere but yeah.. the back label shows a retro poster saying (in old German writing called Sütterlin: Our dads only drink Spalter Beer).

My apologies for the less than optimal pictures, alas I was attacked by a vicious wasp (yellow jacket? I never got the difference...) who also seemed to like my brew... It won and I retreated.
It pours easy middle gold yellow with slight red hues. It is unfiltered which is always a plus. A nice head of uniform mediocre bubble foam makes it truly nice to behold. The head stays nicely and doesn't dissipate fast. That's how I like me beer.

As you might have noticed I'm usually staying with the tasting glasses I bought for almost all brews, as I find them indeed to be the about perfect glasses to get the most out of my beer.

The aroma is mild and not super pleasant I must admit. It reminds me of raw meat somehow. Slight yeast tones but most of it is overshadowed by that smell that I would identify as raw meat.. and as I am a vegetarian... maybe slight floral tones but ever since I started thinking of this as meat I can't smell anything else. Oh woe is my brain.

Good carbonation. Bitter umami starting taste, first getting more bitter in the aftertaste but then opening up to nice facets of yeast and spices mixed with hop flowers. It does hold a lot of aroma on different scales, alas it doesn't fully convince me. It's too watery in the end and I am missing the true WOW effect. It's a decent beer with good craftsmanship.
Ratebeer holds it higher than I do it seems. To each their own.

Prost!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment