Aug 25, 2014

Spalter Premium Pils Nr.1

Spalter I
Spalter Premium Pils Nr.1
0,33l
4,9%



So on my trip around the area in Germany /?the world? with the highest density of breweries I ventured into Spalt this town holds one of Germanies last City-Breweries, meaning that the breweryis actually owned by the city. Every inhabitant of the city is part owner and the CEO of it is the current mayor of the city. I drove right into the brewery and one of the dudes there helped me get one of each of their beers they had available that day. So I know that this will be a new series. I am not sure whether you dear readers actually LIKE the series I do or whether you would prefer eclectic single beerses. Maybe let me know? I live from feedback and so far I have exactly gotten.... zero messages to any of my posts. :)

I kick off the series with their Pilsener. The brewer guy told me that that's what the kids like to drink... whatever that meant.
They advertise their beers as made with the well known Spalt aroma hops and indeed there were HUGE fields full of hops around the city when I drove there.

The little bottle is standard green and has 3 labels. The color persisting is green, silver and white, with the name Spalter and the number 1 printed in golden. Now Ratebeer is pretty much in the middle with this.
I usually stopped drinking the normal Pilsners simply because they are too bland but let's see.

It seems to be a bit lighter than the usual yellow/gold of Pils and forms a really nice uniform foam head with small white bubbles. As I said I don't expect too much...

The aroma is fresh and slightly yeasty. There are pepper and nutmeg tones coupled with faint floral subtones. It's a nice smell I must say.

This is sweeter than I thought coupled with peppery bitterness and truly a nice Pils. I really do like this. It has a nice full mouth feeling that is slightly umami but also very bitter for a Pils. I can get the peppery hops mixed with rather mellow malt. Now there is one slighty weird side taste that I can't identify but that's absolutely not ruining it just giving it a bit more zest. I do like the way this plays with all taste sensations. Now it could possibly be a tad bit less bitter but that's OK. One of the better if not the best Pils I have had in a long, long while!

Me likey!

Prost!
DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment