Aug 2, 2014

Fuller's 2011 Vintage Ale


Fuller's 2011 Vintage Ale
0,5l
8,5%


So I was quite surprised when I stumbled over a batch of this in a supermarket close to my working place. Especially as it was the 2011. I once had one of these in my back then neighborhood bar in Helsinki / Ruskeasuo and I remember that I loved it, absolutely loved it and thought that this was the bestestestest thing made between earth and sky and wanted more... when I returned the next day they were out... I checked all Alkos in Helsinki and no one had any left. When back in Germany I tried to get it and found the 2012 version which I thought must be awesome too.... I tried it and I didn't like it at all... So as it is my mums Birthday tomorrow and I wanted to save this for a special day ... this is it. A 2011 Fullers Vintage Ale.... If this is gonna be bad this time I blame the atmosphere in the pub back then. (And the fact that the new bartender didn't know crap and sold it to me for the price of a normal Fullers.... MUAHAHAH)

It comes in a nice carton with a little leaflet etc.. but see the extensive pictures for that.
Apparently there are only 150000 bottles made and the bottles are numbered. Oh Myyyy.

Also the description says to pour carefully because of the sediment... now I again don't know whether that means one should drink it without the yeast mixed in but those of you who know me,know that I usually mix and I shall do the same here. I will use the super expensive tasting glass thingy for it to indulge me even further.

The number of my bottle is 015710 a grand number for a grand beer?

It pours with little yellow creamy foam with fine pores that dissipates very fast.
It is of dark red/light brown reddish color which shows its true hue under some light.

The aroma is very sweet and of berry marmelade with tones of citrus and wood or barbecue. Very piquant, full of zest and teasing the nose.

The carbonation is perfect and this is indeed as awesome as I remember it. It starts off very sweetish and changes into slight bitterness as it rolls of the tongue, leaving wooden bitter tones on the palate. It's like a great sherry but better. You can guess that this has 8,5% but it isn't shoving it into your face like other beers do. The aftertaste consists of dark berries and marmelade mixed with soft tones of dark chocolate and nutmeg.

Ratebeer agrees!

Prost!

DMW





1 comment:

  1. An absolute favourite of mine too, nice find in the bargain bucket. Keep them reviews coming ;) Schol! -Raizar

    ReplyDelete