May 24, 2014

Coconut Beer

Coconut beer
330 ml
5,5%

Part of my loot from yesterday was this Coconut beer from Ghana. I can't find the brewery for it and frankly I'm a bit skeptical. I guess deep down the German Purity Laws are set in stone in my little beery soul. Also I have never set foot on the African continent and though I have been promised beer from Malawi and South Africa it hasn't reached me yet.

Correction... I just saw that it is brewed in Belgium under license.. so BOOOOO I expected something mysteriously African.

But I am straying from the topic. So yeah.. Coconut beer. I am not sure what to expect I guess something Cocktail sweetish as that's the only time I drink coconut...

The label is rather simple... as it shows.. well a coconut. According to the label part of the money paid for it goes into help projects in a kingdom in Ghana so yay we can feel better cause we can drink with a clean conscience... yay us.

Ratebeer gives it a whooping 8...

It pours with a lot of fine white foam. The brew itself is very light colored, bottle fermented and naturally cloudy. It's almost milky yellowish.

The aroma is not very intense. Tart and yeasty tones prevail, coupled with citrus smells and lemon zest. Some faint spicy tones of cinnamon as well. So far it reminds me of Hoegaarden but then again I haven't tasted it yet. Alas the Belgium brewery would point to Hoegaarden.

Perfect carbonation, strong amounts of tartness, leaving a sour aftertaste. I can only find the coconut very, very faint in the after taste and I'm not even sure whether it's really there or whether I just imagine it.

It is an OK brew if you like em tart... but that's about all I can say to it.

I guess I expected to much.. something along the lines of tropical cocktails or such. So yeah meh.. sorta.


Prost!

DMW









No comments:

Post a Comment