May 29, 2014

Boon Oude Geuze

Boon Oude Geuze
0,75l
7%

So I have been warned. My brother told me that the Geuze he drank was amongst the worst things ever.
I had 5 year old Sake the other day and I think that nothing can be worse than that..
Geuze is a classical Lambic which means that the magic of fermentation doesn't happen with the help of brewers yeasty beasty bacteria but instead by wild strains of native yeasty bacteria. See the Sioux against the Beefeaters or something...

I also have heard a lot about Lambic...ranging from the Best ever to omg never again. Some say that it can go horribly wrong but also could be da awesomeness, depending on what wild tribe of alcohol wielding beasties you encounter.

The often mentioned Braufactum are importing Boon Oude Geuze into Germany where I recently found it refrigerated in the nice beery shop.

Now I do have to warn you. I worked a 4 am shift today, didn't sleep before and had a 3 h nap afterwards.. chances are that I'll be in beerhaven afte 3 drops of alcohol.. especially as this is a large botle and the brew holds 7% of alcohol... BUT for you my reader I undergo the highest trials.

Ratebeer has a high opinion for it it seems.. alas, like usually, I didn't read it.

It comes in a traditional Belgium large champane style bottle, closed with cork.
The green bottle is simple with an old fashioned label stating the name and the usual boohoo. Nothing fancy here. Braufactum has added their own telltale label on the other side of the bottle to show the participaion of that Geuze in the Braufactum franchise in Germany.

I have no idea whether the yeast should stay in the botte or be mixed ...as I usually mix it I did this time as well. The bottle of the glass well.. sticking to the tasting glass like usually nowadays.

It ours easy with a very strong fruity aroma and fine white head that stays for a while.

The aroma is truly unlike anything else. It's very fresh, tart. Smells like fresh apple cider but also of sweet fruits that started to ferment slightly. The smell of an apple or plum orchard in late summer when the bees are getting drunk from the old fruits lying on the ground. It does remind me a lot of the apple wine that is made in my German home area.

Its reddish brown but turns yellow when seen with some light behind it. Its cloudy as it isn't filtered. (Which is logical as it is parly bottle fermented. See Geuze  for more information on this beer category)

The carbonation is perfect and the taste is awesome. It is very tart, but does hold some very fine sweet tones and a fine fruit aroma in the after taste. You truly can't taste the 7% which (assssssssssssss you all know) is a great thing for me. There is a very, faint bitterness in the aftertaste as well.

If you can stand tart/sour drinks, please try this. It's a very hot day here and I enjoy the refreshing tartness tremendously.

I really like this!

Prost!

DMW


No comments:

Post a Comment