Jun 1, 2014

Williams Brothers March of the Penguins

Williams Brothers March of the Penguins
500ml
4,9%

After some of the more exotic thingies I want a nice warm creamy stout to mollycoddle me as I have to get up yuckily early the next 7 days or so.... so the secret hope is that this baby will get me tired.
Ratebeer for once likes it ... I do enjoy my stout so I'm looking forward to this though I just had a good meal and still hae the taste of onions in my mouth... So don't be disturbed if I describe the taste as onionish...:P

One can see that the bottle must be English or Scottish as it has a rather typical label for that area. A metallic foil that can only be pried off the bottle if heated in an oven.
The list of Ingredients actually states the usage of coriander and orange zest... I am intrigued.

It pours heavy and oily with not much foam. The lil head that there is, is consisting of small and big bubbles.
It is very dark almost pitch black. I should have tried the trick with the flashlight again but I am on the terrace and I seriously can't be bothered to get it.

The aroma is nothing I expected from a stout as it is almost IPAish. Very mellow hops tones mixed with spices and onions.. oh wait no. Dark chocolate is present like expected. Very faint floral and lemon tones.

Sadly it doesn't grasp me. The aftertaste with very rich dark chocolate aromas is nice but the general sensaton is OKish but not mind blowing. The carbonation is a bit too much and it generally hasn't as much flavor as I would have hoped it to be. The aftertaste is very nice and lingers on the whole tongue for a while.. but that's the best I can say. Maybe the onions killed my taste or maybe the Finnish Stouts I have had were too good but this tastes a bit watery for my taste.

All in all it's a solid stout with more flavor that your around the corner Guinness, alas there are better ones out there.

Prost!

DMW





No comments:

Post a Comment