Jun 5, 2014

Köstritzer Kellerbier

Köstritzer Kellerbier
5,4%
0,5l

You know my love for Kellerbier/Zwickel by now. Apparently the calls for unfiltered young beerses have been getting louder and louder as by now many breweries started making Kellerbier.
The newest addition to this trend seems to be Köstritzer Kellerbier. The brewery is mainly or actually so far, exclusively known for their Schwarzbier .
My brother the stealthy provider for hoppish goodness brought me one of these Kellerbiers.

The label is nice and looks like a brown version of their Black beer label. The also jumped on the wagon of making their own bottles. Though I find the trend charming to have every brewery make their own bottle it is also a bit sad as I bet it makes the life of the deposit bottle system guys not exactly easier. But then again this is a beer blog and not an environmental science blog.

They get a HUGE bonus from me for including instruction on how to drink it for the baby drinkers. (Namely shake the yeast into the concoction)

Though they say it is unfiltered I am a bit skeptical so far as at least through the bottle it does look filtered.

It pours easy with not a lot of foam. The foam it does form, however, is mainly big bubbled.
The color is.... somnething. The red brown gold reminds me of newcastle brown ale though they add colors which isn't allowed in Germany. So it does look a bit caustic / artificial. It now shows that it is unfiltered though there seems  not to be too much yeast or other things in it that would make it very cloudy.

Aroma wise it seems very malty. It reminds me of Koti olut / Malzbier. It seems very malt-sweet. The hops can be found in very fine scents in the background.

It's very interesting on the tongue. The carbonation being about perfect it left me with a slight medicinal sub tone on the palate while he tongue was numbed by a dusty-bitterness. Thank God it is not malty sweet as I thought from the smell, still it can't convince me. It's a tad bit too bitter for my taste when it comes to Zwickel and isn't fresh / umami enough for me.

I guess it's a nice try but I'd prefer their Schwarzbier for now.

Prost!

DMW







No comments:

Post a Comment