Jun 6, 2014

Kapuziner Kellerweizen

Kapuziner Kellerweizen
Kulmbacher Brewery
0,5l
5,1%

Though I am a Kellerbier fan I am not a Weizen fan as you might know and I usually tend to stay away from Weizen though funnily enough this wwas what I used to drink exclusively when I started to drink beer.

I will have a Weizen series later in the month as I bought a package of Weizens to sample.

Today's is a Kellerweizen so that should make it a young unfiltered baby.
It is one of the 2 bottles my brother brought to me and to be honest I initially thought I'd just drink it without sharing my new found information about it with you.

I love the old style / retro label though a  monastery fan I am pretty sure that they just play with the Capuchin's name and wouldn't be surprised if they never see a dime from this beer.

The bottle also has one of my beloved flip top lids yay.

It pours like a standard dark Weizen though it is brighter than the dark weizens I know. It also has less head than I am used to with a Weizen. Seriously the color isn't very appealing as it reminds me of my last NoroVirus infection... alas, I shall spare you the details. So let's call it light cloudy brown for now...
By now the foam has dissipated besides a thin layer, another thing that I am not used to when it comes to Weizen. I did chose a full pint glass as I think Weizen needs a full glass so that the yeast can fully mix.

It does smell Weizenish though, the yeast is very prominent and there are side tones of pepper and coriander in it that are new to me. Faint lemon tones can be found as well.

Carbonation is perfect and there are fruity tones noticeable as well as banana side tastes.
The yeast is there which is what I usually am not the biggest fan of, alas it does work on this baby. Maybe it is because it is hellishly hot outside and I just craved a refreshing brew.

It is a nice mixture between fruityness and yeast with spices. Maybe I will be cured from my No Weizen attitude.

Prost!

DMW




No comments:

Post a Comment