May 27, 2014

Duckstein Braumeister Edition No.03

Duckstein Braumeister Edition No.03
0,5l
4,8%

Tommi had tried the classical version of this beer very early in the beginning of our blog.. alas in Finnish so I have no idea whether he liked it or not.
On my journeys to the paradise of beer lovers I found the Brewmaster Edition which is limited.
I am a fan of this brew though I fear that it nowadays belongs to Holsten which in turn is owned by Carlsberg and thus to one of the 4 large chains in the beer industry.

Duckstein uses its own bottles which are very elegantly shaped in my humble opinion. The limited edition has a variant of the iconic Duckstein D.

Duckstein itself is not only the name of a brewery, it also is a special kind of beer, closely related to Altbier, alas seen as its own category
Like usually, Ratebeer is not convinced so we shall see whether I disagree with them or not.

They do make their own special glasses for that beer but just like with Kwak I simply am unwilling to buy a glass just for some beer because the brewery tells me to.

It pours quick with a mediocre light caramel head consisting of a mix of fine and large bubbles.
Its amber in color, with copper red hues.

The aroma is strong, rather metallic and coppery. Fine tones of orange and spice are present and I can almost smell the alcohol.

It's bitter and I can taste the wood chips they used to mature the beer. The carbonation is pretty OK.. could be stronger. The beer gives it a bit of smoky taste that blends well with the Sapphire Hops they use. It's slightly sour on the tip of the tongue, smoky full in the middle and bitter on the back and the side. It's an interesting choice but can't reach the point where I'd say 'YAY' I think it would actually gain from more hops as it has interesting intentions but somehow doesn't live up to it. The way it is I am not a huge fan of the wood taste but I could see it being great if it would be hopped stronger.

Prost!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment