May 14, 2014

Stallhagen Honungsöl

Stallhagen Honungsöl
4,7%
330ml

A leftover of my trip to Åland, this little bottle made its way from Mariehamn to Turku, to Helsinki, to Frankfurt and finally to my home town with me. The cuddly hotel we had for Åcon was stocked with all kinds of Stallhagen products and though I preferred their IPA over everything else, I brought the Honeybeer with me why ever. (Most likely because it was the one bottle that was left from the ones I bought...)

Righto I gotta admit that it is refreshing to get something that isn't restricted by the German purity law for a change... it allows for more fun, more playfulness and more diversity in beer.
I was/am a bit sad that Stallhagen seemingly only bottles their nectar of Gods in small bottles... I do prefer my pint over a small sip that's gone within a second but I guess I can't have it all.

The bottle has the breweries name on it and the label is nicely matching the honey theme (Actually I read that Stallhagen is the main user of the honey produced in Åland), being yellow reflective with some stylized honeycombs on it. I grew to like their sorta minimalist design. It's clear and simple.

I chose a simple small straight glass for it as I was to lazy to dig around in my glass shelf.

It pours with a  mediocre white foam which dissipates really fast.. by the time I finished pouring the glass it was gone.
The brew itself is brownish yellow and very pale. It smells sweet with hints of lemon juice and tartness.

It is surprisingly tart, not very sweet at all and the honey is very subtle blending in with the yeast and malt tones. I like it here a lot more than when I has it in Åland.. maybe because I didn't have it chilled there. It's a very delicate composition. I gueyy it might put someone off if he/she was expecting something very sweet. The honey is a nice addition and mainly recognizable in the aftertaste. All in all a very nice, round beer that I definitely could drink again! Time for http://www.archipelacon.org/ all!

Prost!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment