May 13, 2014

Kulmbacher Mönchshof Lebkuchenbier

Kulmbacher Mönchshof Lebkuchenbier
0,5l
5,4%

Hello Kittens!
And mea culpa for not having been in touch with you wonderful people in a while.
Work has me back and I also started a further education. Then there was Åcon in Åland where I was treated with Stallhagen beer for a long weekend and I must say I like their stuff a lot!

So now I am back and Dr.H. the sponsor of another long test series has gotten me a true gem (or so I hope as I haven't tasted it yet). From my research I found out that this golden yellow beauty can only be bought at the museum where it is brewed and the attached brewpub. Apparently also only in very small quantities though so many customers asked for it that they doubled the production recently. It is only brewed during winter, alas the name 'gingerbread-beer'. It is, however, in accordance to the German purity law so don't get upset, there is no real gingerbread in it. From what I understand it is meant to be drunk in winter when there are gingerbread cookies around so I do expect something spicy yummie... but as I said.. no idea so far. I wonder where Dr.H. gets the goodies but hey.. it's free beer for me (and we all know that free beer is the best beer right? Ok maybe not if it is Karjala but....)
I found Beeradvocates and Ratebeers articles about it but decided not to read them after all.... I mean I wanna write my own stuff here not just repeat what others have said.
I pondered about what glass to use and went for a pretty one I just had purchased at the last brewpub I visited.
It pours reddish gold with a very nice foam that's a mix of fine and big pores and light caramel of color. The foam lingers nicely, isn't too much nor too little.

I also like the bicolored design of the label. A bit retro, a bit home made on mock parchment. With a printed seal saying highly limited. Nice.

It smells sweet and strong, almost like a Bock, which it isn't. There are malt tones and honey sub tones together with some nice whiffs of what I'd call umami smell. Also very faint tones of orange zest.

Now let's taste.... (by now my mouth is watering..)
It's sweet and heavy on the tongue with a decent carbonation. Walnut and bitter orange comes to mind with a nice rounded full taste and especially aftertaste. One can taste the alcohol which is just a tad bit of a minus for me as you all know but nothing major. By now the foam dissipated and through the cold.iced glass the beauty looks even darker brown. It might mislead some people into thinking that this should taste like Lebkuchen bt that's just the name of it. A very nice full beer with surprising many tasting notes. It remins me of some Barley Wines I have had.

Thank you Dr.H. You are an inspiration.

Prost!
DMW




No comments:

Post a Comment