May 21, 2014

Schorschbock

Schorschbock
Schorschbräu
330ml
16%

Schorschbräu has been well known as fighting against Brewdog when it comes to the strongest beer in the world. The Germans have the added problem that they are working with the restrictions of the German Beer Purity Law. I couldn't find any of the higher percentage babies of this Franconian Brew-record-holder, but I did, however, find what they market as the strongest Pilsner in the world. I saved this for a few months as the times when I was head over heels for strong beers have long past... For you, esteemed reader, I will make an exception, however, and try this 16% Pilsner. I made sure to have had a nice meal before so it wouldn't instantly make me tired... Stronger beers tend to do this nowadays... I'm not sure who currently holds the record for the strongest beer as Schorschbräu and Brewdog appear to play Ping Pong with the title. I'm torn... I love Brewdog and I'm a shareholder, alas I'm also half franconian... Tough call.

Of course I just HAD to use my new fancy beer tasting glass for it.
The bottle comes with the easy to open flip top thingy I grew to like because one doesn't need an opener for them.
The label is rather minimalist... main emphasis is the 16% of alcohol.

As expected it pours a bit oily with litle foam that dissipates rather fast, leaving behind a circle of caramel colored goodness on top of the dark brown nectar. It's really dark brown, almost black and there was an ample amount of yeast left in the bottle and the glass when poured.

It smells very sweet and heavy, almost intoxicating.. somehow some oriental perfumes come to mind. Almost like syrup. Sweet marzipan tones, mixed with flowery parts and honey. Also some tartness but mainly hidden behind the sweet marzipan and bitter almond.

The carbonation is perfect and the taste is a very, very exquisite mixture which reminds me of Finnish Sahti mixed with dark chocolate. It is surprisingly fruity with the bitter tones just setting in on the sides of the tongue in the aftertaste. The amount of different tastes in it is remarkable. Ranging from Dark chocolate to sweet candy with hues of herbs and fruit in between. If I hadn't known, I would have said that this is Sahti.

A very interesting beer that I can only highly suggest everyone to try. I can't be arsed (pardon my french) to look up rate beer today because well usually they don't agree with me anyways.
Brewdog beware!

Prost!

DMW


 

No comments:

Post a Comment