Mar 5, 2013

Odin-Trunk

Odin-Trunk Schloßbräu
0,5l%


http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/furstlich-drehna-schlossbrau-odin-trunk/44513/

I have been knowing this baby for a couple of years as it is served in a local wannabe Medieval Bar. I did like it back then. Like the upcoming strawberry and cherry Porters, I sadly had to realize that this isn't brewed with the honey but simply has it added to the beer... So technically it's more like a beer mixery thingy... Which makes me a sad Panda but oh well.. You can't have it all. The label is sorta archaic with the huge Odin dude on it and has a slight weird connotation for me but well its Wednesday tomorrow and as that name stems from Odin (Wednesday Wodansday Wodan Wotan Odin) it's the fitting beer for tonight.
I chose the handmade glasses I found on a fleamarket for it as they have the same archaic, back to earth feeling for me as the label.

It's pouring with a red brownish hue that I am not a huge fan of.. maybe if it weren't filtered and would be cloudy then yes but this way it reminds me of Cola Beer or something... No huge head on it, instead more fine bubbles like from a soft drink, though they stay relatively stable. (The little of them that are present that is)..

I can smell the honey and also soft tones of cinnamon in it. Funnily the smell reminded me of the cookie beer I had a few weeks ago. Some smoky tones as well as sweet christmas candies come to mind when smelling it. The tartness of the beer itself is present as well though, making it on of the best smelling beers I have had... let's hope the taste holds what the smell promises.

Wonder why I used to like this.. pretty bland with some metallic side tones, trying to be covered up by the honey and the sugar. The second sip goes a lot better and I like the cinnamon parts of it that I find on the upper pallate, alas I'm still not a huge fan of the mixture of bitter hoppiness with added sugar though the honey in this case makes it better.

This could be a good beer if the sweetness would be toned down a bit. It's definitely interesting but the sweetness is too much for me today.

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment