Mar 6, 2013

Strawberry Porter

Erbeer Porter
Bergquell-Brauerei Löbau
0,5l
4,2%

Before I start the Faust week I make a short detour to Lausitz where I got 3 kinds of porter from.
Kicking of is the Strawberry Porter... like I mentioned with the Honey beer, this again is a mix beer and not brewed with cherry but simply has added cherry something in it. Too sad.

Already after opening and during pouring this reminds me of some cherry vanilla coke.. the color is pretty much the same and the foam consistency as well. The artificial smell is very intense, even if I haven't even put my nose over the glass yet.
It's very cherry intense and I can barely make out the beer tartness under the sweet strawberry tones. All in all this smells like a soft drink not a beer but we shall see whether the taste breaks these assumptions.

This drinks suspiciously great actually, Not too sweet though I could go with a bit less sweetness but a nice composition of berry and beer... though I wouldn't be able to identify the beer used as a porter.
Also the taste isn't as artificial as the smell and I got a very round mouth experience with it. The malty tones fill the upper palate while the sweeter aspects stay on the tongue. I'm not really sure whether I would have identified it as Strawberry though.
In any case it's worth a try though I'd encourage them to use the berries in the brewing and not just add the juice afterwards.

P.S.: Also I am REALLY not happy with that phones camera when I look at those pics...
P.P.S.: After studying the bottle I found out that the closest strawberry this beer has ever seen was the Strawberry Chewing gum of the Apprentice... as they have artificial this with artificial this in there and even label it as  'With Strawberry-taste'... Huge minus...

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment