Mar 7, 2013

The Faust Series... kicking of with Kräusen

Faust Kräusen
0,5l
5,5%

Apparently Blogger found my Cherry porter so bad that it automagically deleted the post.. or I managed to click a wrong button... SIGH half an evening in vain.... alas see the Strawberry Porter and You should have the article... replace strawberry with cherry though..

Right after that unsuccessful flirt with the porters I was looking forward to start my FAUST week.
To honor someone, I herewith dedicate the Faust week to Felix, a friend who grew up next to the brewery.

I picked the first one because I never heard of 'Kräusen' and the cloudy unfiltered part sounds very interesting.
Wikipedia states:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewing#Conditioning 
Kräusening is a conditioning method in which fermenting wort is added to the finished beer.[80] The active yeast will restart fermentation in the finished beer, and so introduce fresh carbon dioxide; the conditioning tank will be then sealed so that the carbon dioxide is dissolved into the beer producing a lively "condition" or level of carbonation.[80] The kräusening method may also be used to condition bottled beer.

So yeah let's see.
All Faust beers show the same design for their labels which is a good idea as it keeps corporate design going.. I like the bit old fashioned way they design their labels.

Pouring very bright and only a tad bit cloudy like stained glass windows, this beery goodness holds a decent foamy head, just like German beers are supposed to. The yeasty smell reminds me more of freshly baked bread than of the usual beer yeast smell. There definitely are fruity tones in it as well as well as the crisp tartness of good beer. Enough said.. mouth is watering, time to try...


Sadly not as cold as I'd like it, this is very good. A perfect blend of fruit, tartness, bitterness and yeast tones. To be honest there are too many aspects for me to write about but it does remind me of a good Kellerbier. It's sweet in the beginning, great in between and slightly nicely malty bitter in the end. Absolutely a beer that gets my seal of approval. I would heighten the carbonation a bit but that's just unimportant when considering the multitude of aromas in it. Sadly I never found a perfect translation for 'süffig' as that's a very good word. My beloved Co-writer Pasi once translated it as 'quaffable'.

Anyways... absolute highlight and on my top lists. Well done!

DMW


No comments:

Post a Comment