Mar 14, 2014

Schinner IV: Schinner Kellerbier Bernstein

Schinner Kellerbier Bernstein
0,5l
4,9%

So the last of the Schinner stuff I found in the local shady drink dealers shop and also the end of the Schinner series (Thank God) is a Schinner Kellerbier... now as many of you know, Kellerbier (or Zwickel) is my favorite kind of beer so I AM having high expectations. They add the name Bernstein which is amber to it which I can only guess means the color of this hopish delicacy. This time there is no year on the label and to be honest by now I don't care very much about it anymore... I am looking forward to the Schlappeseppel line of beers that I shall work on next though.
I also welcome Peter Watts my dear esteemed friend and HUGO winner in this feed. (Namedropping for the win) Sorry Peter that so far the stuff was of mediocre quality..:)

Anyways the label matches the presumed color of the brew, as it is amber (on green background though..).
This time Ratebeer is giving it a bit higher score than the last Schinners but I am still not sure whether I can enjoy it without being biased. It is an unfiltered brew, just like Kellerbier should be and I am usually enjoying this out of a nice Stein, alas as I do want to make a picture for you reader, I picked a bit smaller glass stein ... usually I tend to evade smaller glasses as they mean that the yeast can't mix fully but I shall just make sure that the brew is nicely mixed in the bottle.

It pours with rather little foam which then dissipates quickly, leaving behind a fine slightly caramel colored layer of bubbles. It is indeed amber wit red golden tones and rather pleasing tot he eye, especially when drunk outside in the sun.

It smells very, very little though I can detect the smell of hop flowers and caramel, maybe some tones of overripe fruit.
Now I am eager to try it because it is a Zwickel color I haven't seen before.

The carbonation is about perfect and the fruit tones mix with maybe a bit too much hops and a decent bitterness that can be felt on the back of the tongue while the tip can find very decent citrus notes.

It holds a tad too much bitterness for a Zwickel in my taste but all in all this reconciles me with Schinner to a certain degree.

Prost!

DMW


No comments:

Post a Comment