Mar 19, 2014

Schlappeseppel II: Dunkel

Schlappeseppel Dunkel
0,5l
5,2%

Boy these guys have fancy names for their brew... Dunkel meaning Dark.. well yeah so I guess it is a dark beer then... list of ingredients mention roasted malts so this might be right up my alley. Maybe I should wait a bit till my tongue recovers from the pipe I just smoked so yeah.

It seems that my friends (I just assume we are all friends.. right? I mean.. right?) from Ratebeer don't value this baby too highly but then again I never let myself be influenced by that too much... taste is highly subjective of course.

Righto, went for a standard Pint glass this time... mainly because .. I dunno..because I can.. and because I am getting bored of doing the dishes by hand if I include a fancy glass as I do not want them in the dishwasher... and then I remembered that I DO have the fitting glass for that brewery so meh hand wash it shall be.

So yeah no flip top bottle this time and the label , like the others of this brewery, shows an old painting on the upper part and the Logo and name of them on the lower side.

I'm usually indifferent towards dark beers (With the exception of stouts which I like a lot) and a huge fan of unfiltered beer .. alas so far this does look filtered.

Well, this is indeed dark... as in very dark. Inside the house it even looks black though it is indeed slightly dark reddish. So far the biggest let down is the head.... it doesn't exist.. well even though I tried I was able to get very little foam which dissipates almost instantly, leaving a very, very thin layer.

It smells sweet and full, malt aroma and flowery tones can be found. Just like the Schlappeseppel yesterday it holds a rather strong smell, which is a good thing imho.

The carbonation is abot perfect, the taste, however, is rather weak. Sad puppy as I imagined something else. There is a pleasant tartness to it with very little bitterness on the palate that's almost chocolaty... alas all tones are very faint and subtle. I can find some semi weird metal tones in it which is a bit peculiar.

I do like this, alas, I would love it or like it a lot more if they would increase the taste by the factor of 10 or so. It isn't bland per se.. as I said there are loads of things to tase..but it is very subtle...


Prost!


DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment