Mar 18, 2014

Schlappeseppel I: Specialität

Schlappeseppel Specialität
0,33l
5,6%

So finally moving on to the next brewery which is Schlappeseppel I am eager to write again.
While Schinner was all in all a disappointment, I have been to the brewery Schlappeseppel and together with Faust it is ranking amongst my top 2 favorite breweries in Germany.
While Ratebeer calls this a Märzen I am not so sure about it but then again labels are just that... labels.

The Specialität (which, wonder oh wonder, means speciality) comes in the smaller of the 2 usual German beer bottle sizes and with a cuddly lil flip top lid.

I remember that I have had this before and so far I can't remember having ever had anything bad from the brewery ... but meh I guess I am biased.

I went for a cuddly lil glass, fitting the lil bottle... Yeah 330ml bottles are kinda widespread in Germany but I usually go straight for the 500ml one :P.

It pours like a standard Pilsner, alas it is more orange than your around the corner Pils which usually is more yellow´. I underestimated the head, which is why it got a bit big. The nice foam dissipates slowly with a mix of fine small and bigger pores.

One thing I immediately noticed was the great beer smell. Nothing special in itself, I must say that this baby smells more than the usual beer. Fresh yeasty notes filled my terrace when I poured it and even now the olfactory experience is mouth watering, though the smell is rather typical of beer. Actually this invoked the mental image of walking into a beer-tent at some huge festival.
By now the foam has diminished enough for me to go and have a sip.

Can't help it but these guys just know how to make beer.
The carbonation could be a biiit more but that's just my personal thing.
It is slightly bitter though it mixes nicely with flowery side notes and even tart tones can be found. The bitterness increases on the palate afterwards but not unpleasantly and it fades away quickly. The only slight minus I might find is that I can indeed taste the alcohol which is something I'm not a great fan of.... but the great taste makes up for that.

<3

Prost!

DMW

No comments:

Post a Comment